[R] Japanese in R

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 23 02:34:37 CEST 2000

hi

> Recently I installed R(1.0.1) from the woody package of Debian GNU/Linux
> and tested help(Japanese) and example(Japanese) as you kindly taught me.
> They worked fine!
>
> Frankly speaking, the quality of Japanese fonts is not so good (I have
> not yet tired to print out them), but, of course, far better than having
> nothing. Thank you very much for your (and maybe other's) efforts.

The printed output should be much nicer.  Is it good enough ?
For viewing the fonts on the computer screen, does it help much to increase
the font size ?

> As you know very well, almost all Japanese PC have a variant of
> qwerty keyboard with 106 (or 109) keys. Extra keys are for Japanese
> input and we use special software to convert alphabetic inputs into
> Japanese. I am not completely certain yet, but seemingly only method
> for using Japanese fonts from R is just as you did in example(Japanese),
> that is, using Hershey fonts codes directly. Therefore, fortunately
> or unfortunately, no problem due to Japanese special keyboards at present,
> Probably this is not a big problem since we need Japanese only in
> legends or titles.

I think it should be possible for you to press a Japanese key on your
keyboard and have the appropriate Japanese character drawn by the Hershey
font.  However, at least one necessary condition will be that your
keypresses are encoded by the computer using the same encoding that the
Hershey fonts use, which is JIS X0208 standard.  Do you know how your
keypresses are encoded ?

Just out of interest, I presume that the Japanese keys represent Kana rather
than Kanji.  Is that right and if so, how do you normally type Kanji
characters on a computer ?

paul

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch