[R] What is an rpm

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 22 21:35:34 CEST 2000

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 07:11:40PM +0100, Colin Knowles wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but I have not met an .rpm file before.
>
> How do I unpack it?

RPM is one of several standard software package distribution formats
popularized by Linux, the other primary one being a Debian package (.deb
file), and "tarballs" -- tar (tape archive) files being the old standbye.
Analogs might be CAB files under Windows, though this doesn't do justice
to the full capabilities of the RPM and Debian packaging systems.

Interaction with RPM files is performed under Linux with the "rpm" or
"alien" commands.

Under Windows NT (your system, I gather, from your X-mailer headers),
you should use an alternative packaging format, or install Linux on your
system <g>.  There may be tools capable of managing RPMs under WinNT,
but it won't be a native solution.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?       Debian GNU/Linux rocks!