[R] Re: R-1.1.0 is released : GUI

Yves Gauvreau cyg at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 17 14:41:57 CEST 2000

This discussion is quite interesting. From the little I know of these issues
may I humbly suggest that parallelism may be the ultimate solution for the
problem of speed and data size. Again in my humble opinion I find R to be
quite a powerful and flexible solution as it is. Trying to make a Formula
one out of it will just be a lost of time and effort because the foundation
doesn't lend itself to these kind of improvements as some of you pointed
out. But if it where possible to enlist a bunch of computer at some large
and properly setup problem there would be virtually no limit to the kind of
problem one could tackle using it. These days you can get a few hundred
megahertz PC for practically pocket change. How much time and effort would
be required to improve R capabilities by a factor of 2 say? I think it would
be lots and lots. How much work would it be to give R parallelism I think it
could be a lot less. All together I think asking the core team to improve
the performance of R knowing that probably only very few would really
benefit is asking to much. I would be curious to know what it would involve
to provide R with parallelism enlisting PVM or other similar package?

My penny worth bit.

YG