[R] read.table and factor

Bill Simpson wsi at gcal.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 12:01:27 CET 2000

Thanks very much Peter

> as.numeric(as.character()) should do it
yes, this works, thanks.

> > How can I either tell read.table to leave the first two cols as numeric
> > (not factors) or convert them from factors into the proper numeric values?
>
> If they're not read as numeric, then they must contain non-numeric
> elements. Either fix the typo (!) or set na.strings in the call to
> read.table.

No, so far as I can tell neither std nor cf contain non-numeric elements.
This problem arises with every data file I read (the files are created by
a C program). I attach a file--std and cf are numeric, yet read.table

d<-read.table("~/papers/letter/data/ws60.dat",header=TRUE)

makes d$std and d$cf factors.

Bill