[R] Patents on algorithms harm data analytic services

Jens Oehlschlägel joehl at web.de
Mon Dec 11 00:13:41 CET 2000

Cologne, 10.12.00

Dear Sir,
Dear Madam,

We are concerned about the possibility that the European Commission might introduce software patenting into the European Community because we think this will harm our profession.

We make our living on data management and statistical analyses. Modern statistics crucially depends on algorithms [cf. Venables, W. N., & Ripley, B. D. (1999). Modern applied statistics with S-Plus. New York, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag]. Furthermore modern data analysis goes far beyond applying algorithms contained in ready-to-use software packages, modern data analysis means customizing or developing algorithms suitable to specific data situations [cf. Chambers, J. M. (1999), Programming with data, a guide to the S language. New York, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag; Venables, W. N., & Ripley, B. D. (2000). S Programming. New York, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag]. Our work involves generating ideas about appropriate algorithms, turning them quickly into software ('rapid prototyping'), gradually improving successful algorithms in terms of performance, usability and documentation and sharing those algorithms with colleagues. This is a modern service oriented business: it's about selling intellectual service, not about selling 'intellectual property'.

However, software patenting threats this business, as nobody doing that type of work has the time or resources to check whether an algorithm might violate any patents. Checking for equivalence between algorithms is a non-trivial task, and often it is less time consuming to program an algorithm than to search and buy it. And once we have created it on our own, we might want to improve it and share it or even sell it. We do not see any contradiction between patent free algorithms and selling software. We are convinced that for good software there will always be a market, as can be seen with the statistics programming language S. Although there is a free open source implementation (called R) a private company can sell a commercial implementation (S+ by MATHSOFT) which offers certain advantages. It is rather the other way round: the existence of free algorithms and free software pushes software developers to improve their products, such free market competition pushes the new economy. The real big business and the real big challenge of modern software is achieving integration, not having unique or secret algorithms. It's an old economy idea to put a patent on an algorithm and to lean back waiting for money to come.

Software patenting does not only directly harm our professional business, but also indirectly threatens freedom of research, as research crucially depends on 'data analysis' and 'sharing ideas', which is incompatible with patenting algorithms. Furthermore patent restrictions on algorithms (and thus on data analysis) can harm society: It has been argued (by Edward Tufte, an expert on data visualization) that the challenger explosion could have been avoided given appropriate data analysis. Now imagine someone comes to you and says 'tomorrow morning we have this challenger launch and we suspect that ... we urgently need these data analyzed' and you have to answer 'well, let's go to the patent office'.

Best Regards

Dr. Jens Oehlschlägel & Peter Malewski
Research Consultants