[R] simple (NEWBIE) question re: prcomp or princomp

Oy Leuangthong oy at ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 1 23:57:49 CET 2000

Hi,

I am a new user of R, and apologize beforehand for the simplistic nature of this question:

I ran prcomp on a data set with 4 variables, and am able to see the summary information (variance contribution, rotation matrix, plots, etc.).  However, I'd also like to extract the actual values of the principal components (PC) corresponding to each sample.  I've looked in the help, on-line manuals, FAQs, archived e-mails from this list, but have been unsuccessful in finding the solution.

Alternatively, I saved the prcomp output to an ascii file, and then used the rotation matrix out of R and calculated the principal components in Excel... but these values do not match the prcomp output (at least the series of values that I assume are the PC values).

If someone could shed some light, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Oy
Oy Leuangthong
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Alberta
(780) 492-3337
oy at ualberta.ca