[R] What happenes with R-gnome?

Yves Gauvreau cyg at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 31 19:21:35 CEST 2000

I've studied Artificial intelligence a bit and what seems the most important
hurdle in the interaction of human-machine at this time is what is called
"common sense" or how to implement it. We human spent a lifetime learning
and treating trivial stuff that we take for granted in a way. When we try to
create an application to recognize natural language for example, we find
ourselves dealing with complicated math, stats and other esoteric algorithms
and they all lack the capacity to handle trivial stuff as we routinely do.
Although we achieve a certain degree of success in a few very specific and
narrow fields like in medicine for example. These applications pale in
comparison to what our "lowly" * brain can do in a blink of an eye.

It seem to me like we'll have to invent machines that can learn by
themselves (at least this common sense stuff)before we can see my dream come
true. I can even say that 20-30 years may a bit optimistic unless a kind of
Einstein of the knowledge reveal itself relatively soon!

* In terms of speed

Regards

Yves Gauvreau