[R] Graphics output device

LUK ShunTim cestluk at polyu.edu.hk
Sat Oct 2 22:36:02 CEST 1999

Michael Lapsley wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> I wonder would you consider making a save to a graphics file format (as opposed
> to ps)?
>
> What prompts this is that we have just finished my wife's thesis using R
> heavily for stats and graphs.  The combination of latex, bibtex and R generated
> .eps worked a treat and we were very pleased with both the final outcome and
> the efficiency of gernerating it, especially when all the graphs were produced
> in batch from scripts.
>
> The experience of preparing a Powerpoint talk from the same material was much
> less satisfactory, however.  It was positively painful converting eps files
> into png or whatever with scaling difficult to control, and, worst of all, I
> never succeeded in getting the colours to display properly:  white backgrounds
> turned out a peculiar transparent dirty kahki colour. (I think this must be a
> ghostscript bug, but one that I have only ever seen tickled by R).  In the end
> I captured them one at a time with xv and the mouse grab.
>
> Apart from being a real pain I'm mulling over a project that would have
> dynamically generated graphs displayed on a web page:  mouse capture clearly is
> out!  Would saving graphs in pnm or some other convertable format be difficult?
> (Or perhaps there is a package that I have not noticed?)

Though not strictly on R, but looking at the number of discussion on
this subject, may be people using latex/tex would like to look at
PPower4, a Java application which :

http://www-sp.iti.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/software/ppower4/

The conversion route is: latex/tex ---> pdf(la)tex ---> pdf slides

I've not used it yet but the example in the site looks impressive.

Regards,
ST