[R] strange results from tree()

Kurt Gerber kgerber at gmx.ch
Fri Dec 10 22:47:56 CET 1999

Does anybody work with the function tree() from the contributed library "tree"?
I used this function first on S-Plus version 3.x on a Sun Solaris Workstation 
and also on Windows S-Plus Version 4.x. 

Now, on my first use, always with the same data, on S-Plus, it was growing a
wonderful tree with many many leaves and nodes. Many of them redundant and I
had to use prune.tree and snip.tree and so on.

Then I found R and thought, that for me I could be useful (because the S-Plus
Licenses are too few..) and I could install it at home on my Linux box and on
Windows where I'm working on University. 
 So I did. 
 Now, first on the Windows Installation of R (I think it is R 0.90) it was
growing a small tree with only few leaves. Only about one node redundant. 
Then on Linux (R. 0.65) : Only  three nodes and no leaves.... And I tried
with every configuration with tree.control an so on.... But I get always
the same result. (That was the cause too for my x11() -display problem. Thanks
to John Logsdon for the hint!).

Which statistical software should I believe, now the results are sooooo

I guess the answer: The most expensive one....

r-help mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch

More information about the R-help mailing list