[R] A couple problems installing 0.64 (under linux, redhat 5.2)

Barnet Wagman wagman at enteract.com
Mon Apr 19 21:27:52 CEST 1999

I'm encountering a couple problems configuring and making R 0.64 under
linux, redhat 5.2
These problems didn't occur when I build 0.63.2

(1) configure generates the warning:

"configure: warning: Cannot determine how to create shared libraries.
    Please set CPICFLAGS, FPICFLAGS and SHLIBLDFLAGS in `config.site'."

I'm not sure what's needed here.  The only flag I use to create shared
libs is '-shared',
but adding that to config.site not make the warning go away.

(2) Apparently there are some X headers that make is not finding.  Make
generates the
(terminal) error:

" ...
gcc -O3  -I../include -I../../src/include -ansi -c dataentry.c
In file included from dataentry.c:24:
dataentry.h:22: X11/X.h: No such file or directory
dataentry.h:23: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
dataentry.h:24: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
dataentry.h:25: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
dataentry.h:26: X11/cursorfont.h: No such file or directory"

Any idea where these headers are on a redhat system? I can't seem to
find them
in any of the usual places.

Thanks,

Barnet Wagman