[Rd] copy-before-ignore in R CMD build

Tim Taylor t|m@t@y|or @end|ng |rom h|ddene|eph@nt@@co@uk
Mon May 18 20:53:33 CEST 2026


For completeness here’s the thread I recalled

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2024-August/083610.html

Tim

> On 18 May 2026, at 19:46, Tim Taylor <tim.taylor using hiddenelephants.co.uk> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hi Ben
> 
> I think this was discussed recently on one of the lists (although that may be a figment of my imagination). Either way, for info, there is more related discussion over in https://bugs.r-project.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17549.
> 
> Tim
> 
>>> On 18 May 2026, at 19:36, Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>  As currently implemented, R CMD build copies everything in the package directory to a working directory, then unlinks those in .Rbuildignore (see this comment by Jim Hester from 2018).
>> 
>> https://github.com/r-lib/rcmdcheck/issues/90#issuecomment-435938362
>> 
>>  If one accidentally happens :-( to create a directory with many gigabytes of junk in it, say from reverse-dependency-checking a widely used package, then the presence of that directory (even if .Rbuildignore'd) will make R CMD build hang as it tries to copy the contents of the directory ...
>> 
>>  I realize it's considerably more complicated to skip .Rbuildignore'd files in the process of copying (I don't see offhand how to do it without some fairly fancy unix-`find`-like tool, as opposed to a straight-up `file.copy(..., recursive = TRUE)`, but I wonder if there's any appetite for changing this behaviour?
>> 
>>  cheers
>>   Ben Bolker
>> 
>> ______________________________________________
>> R-devel using r-project.org mailing list
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]



More information about the R-devel mailing list