[Rd] \>

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom prod@y@e@com
Sun Jun 30 00:57:28 CEST 2024

Hi, Duncan:

On 6/29/24 17:24, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>       Yes. I'm not yet facile with "|>", but I'm learning.
>>

>>       Spencer Graves
>
> There's very little to know.  This:
>
>       x |> f() |> g()
>
> is just a different way of writing
>
>      g(f(x))
>
> If f() or g() have extra arguments, just add them afterwards:
>
>      x |> f(a = 1) |> g(b = 2)
>
> is just
>
>      g(f(x, a = 1), b = 2)

	  Agreed. If I understand correctly, the supporters of the former think
it's easier to highlight and execute a subset of the earlier character
string, e.g., "x |> f(a = 1)" than the corresponding subset of the
latter, "f(x, a = 1)". I remain unconvinced.

	  For debugging, I prefer the following:

	  fx1 <- f(x, a = 1)
	  g(fx1, b=2)

	  Yes, "fx1" occupies storage space that the other two do not. Ir you
are writing code for an 8086, the difference in important. However, for
my work, ease of debugging is important, which is why I prefer, "fx1 <-
f(x, a = 1); g(fx1, b=2)".

	  Thanks, again, for the reply.
	  Spencer Graves