[Rd] Hard crash of lme4 in R-devel

Ivan Krylov |kry|ov @end|ng |rom d|@root@org
Sat Jun 15 09:06:43 CEST 2024

В Sat, 15 Jun 2024 02:04:31 +0000
"Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. via R-devel" <r-devel using r-project.org> пишет:

> other attached packages:
> [1] lme4_1.1-35.1  Matrix_1.7-0

I see you have a new Matrix (1.7-0 from 2024-04-26 with a new ABI) but
an older lme4 (1.1-35.1 from 2023-11-05).

I reproduced the crash and the giant backtrace by first installing
latest lme4 and then updating Matrix. With the latest version of lme4,
this results in a warning:

library(lme4)
# Warning message:
# In check_dep_version() : ABI version mismatch:
# lme4 was built with Matrix ABI version 1
# Current Matrix ABI version is 2
# Please re-install lme4 from source or restore original 'Matrix'
# package

The version of lme4 that you have installed doesn't have this check
because it only appeared in March 2024:
https://github.com/lme4/lme4/commit/8be641b7a1fd5b6e6ac962552add13e29bb5ff5b

The crash should go away if you update or at least reinstall lme4 from
source.

--
Best regards,
Ivan