[Rd] system()/system2() using short paths of commands on Windows?

Yihui Xie x|e @end|ng |rom y|hu|@n@me
Mon Oct 30 17:18:53 CET 2023

Hi,

It may have been so for 20+ years but I just discovered today that system()
would always try to use the short path of a command on Windows:
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/635a67/src/gnuwin32/run.c#L141 If
that's true, I wonder if it could provide an option to disable this
behavior, because we recently ran into a case in which short paths wouldn't
work. I wonder what the original motivation of using short paths was. If it
was to avoid spaces in paths, wouldn't shQuote() work? Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui