[Rd] Blue Sky Statistics - GPL Violation?

Tom Woolman twoo|m@n @end|ng |rom ont@rgettek@com
Tue Jun 28 03:44:51 CEST 2022

Hi. I am not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but
I don't think this is a GPL violation. The closest analogy for non-GPL
release packages that comes to mind is with h2o. h2o is proprietary (for
profit) that is also simultaneously released on CRAN; their business
model is consulting services for selling support and app development for
h2o-enabled models, but they allow free use of the core algorithm
without paying a license fee.

I'm a huge fan of h2o and have used their GBM and MLP algorithms to
build models for my two most recent published papers (in press). I
suspect that this type of hybrid freeware/retained rights framework
might be the future for some of the larger, more scalable and robust
library package releases. It seems to also mitigate somewhat the issue
of abandonware packages, because people are throwing some bucks into the
tip jar via enterprise support license subscriptions.

Which reminds me that RStudio also does something similar :)