[Rd] Trying to compile R 4.2.x on Linux as 32bit sub-architecture

Berwin A Turlach berw|n@tur|@ch @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 18 16:58:19 CEST 2022

G'day all,

Apologies for not reporting this earlier, but our teaching semester has
just finished and I learned from experience not to update my R version
to a version that my students were not using. :)

When installing R on my Linux machines, I usually install it as a 32bit
and a 64bit sub-architecture, with the 64bit one being the default.  My
main computer also runs daily scripts during the night to install
R-patched and R-devel in this manner.

However, I now realise that I can neither install R 4.2.0 nor R-patched
as a 32bit sub-architecture on my Linux machines (which were running
Xubuntu 20.04 but were recently upgraded to Xubuntu 22.04).  The
installation process always fails at the same test.  I attach the
relevant file from trying to compile R-patched during last night's run.

Hopefully this report is in time before the release of R 4.2.1. :)

Or is it time to stop compiling R on Linux as a 32bit sub-architecture?
My understanding is that R 4.2.0 on Windows is already provided only as
a 64bit binary, not sure what the situation on MacOS is.  How long will
support for a 32bit version of R on Linux continue?

Thank you very much for any help/insight.

Cheers,

	Berwin