[Rd] Class union of custom classes

pik@pp@@devei m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com pik@pp@@devei m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Tue Jul 5 11:31:31 CEST 2022

Hi Ezra,

thanks, this was very helpful! Your answer got me thinking, and I have tried a couple of more approaches. I thought it would be good to document them here in case someone stumbles on this issue in the future.

I have tried to define classes with combatible initializers:

> # test 5
+ setClass("foo", contains = "logical")
+ setClass("bar", contains = "logical")
+ setClassUnion("foobar", c("foo", "bar"))
+ setClass("withId", contains = "foobar", slots = c(id = "character"))
+ w1 <- new("withId", new("foo", TRUE), id = "test 5")
> Error in initialize(value, ...) :
  'initialize' method returned an object of class “foo” instead of the required class “withId”

> # test 6
+ setClass("foo", slots = list(x = "logical"))
+ setClass("bar", slots = list(x = "logical"))
+ setClassUnion("foobar", c("foo", "bar"))
+ setClass("withId", contains = "foobar", slots = c(id = "character"))
+ w1 <- new("withId", new("foo", x = TRUE), id = "test 6")
> > Error in initialize(value, ...) :
  'initialize' method returned an object of class “foo” instead of the required class “withId”

I have also tried to "trick" setClassUnion by naming members of foo and bar .Data:

> # test 7
+ setClass("foo", slots = list(.Data = "logical"))
+ setClass("bar", slots = list(.Data = "logical"))
+ setClassUnion("foobar", c("foo", "bar"))
+ setClass("withId", contains = "foobar", slots = c(id = "character"))
+ w1 <- new("withId", new("foo", .Data = TRUE), id = "test 7")
Error in initialize(value, ...) :
  'initialize' method returned an object of class “foo” instead of the required class “withId”

The approach you proposed is the only one that works, but with a catch. The withId class will not have access to foo methods, and wrappers are additionally needed to imitate inheritance. If foo has only a few methods, this approach is maintainable. For now, this is the approach I will follow in the real problem I am dealing with.

Kind Regards,
Pantelis