[Rd] inconsistency between as.list(df) and as.list(mat) with mode(mat) == "list"

Thu Feb 3 15:15:03 CET 2022

    > The definitions of is.vector() etc. are now so old, it's probably
    > hopeless to change them.  But there are already some definitions in the
    > rlang package that look more consistent and rational.  For example,
    > is_atomic() and is_vector() fix the issues you were complaining about.

    > The rlang package doesn't have many hard dependencies (just utils), so
    > you could easily use it instead of the base test functions.  On the
    > other hand:  It does have a long list of packages in Suggests,
    > and it doesn't really fix Gabe's issue:  as_list is more consistent than
    > as.list, but it gives a deprecation warning:

    > Warning message:
    > `as_list()` is deprecated as of rlang 0.4.0
    > Please use `vctrs::vec_cast()` instead.
    > This warning is displayed once per session.

    > My conclusion is that it would make more sense to import a subset of the
    > definitions and names from rlang into base R.

    > Duncan Murdoch

Regarding is.atomic() and is_atomic() : Within R Core, we have
talked about it and for now created a branch of R-devel in svn,
called 'R-is' (*),  in which  is.atomic(NULL) is false {as in is_atomic()}.

Hopefully, most CRAN (& Bioc) packages would continue to work unaffected,
and we could ask maintainers of the few others to adapt ...
... so possibly, hopefully, ...,
we would change is.atomic()  in spite of all history.

*) If you are interested, get and install that branch by

   svn co -q https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-is R
   ( cd R ; tools/rsync-recommended )

  and then build R the same as you would build another one from
  source.

-------------

One more thing  I forgot to mention in reply to Gabe's original
post -- even though *also* only partly related:

In R-devel, for any data frame  df,
all three of

  as.list  (df)
  as.vector(df)
  as.vector(df, mode="list")

are identical.
This has *not* been the case in previous versions
of R, i.e. notably all released ones  where   as.vector(df)
was a no-op for data frames.

Martin