[Rd] Pipe operator status, placeholders?

Benjamin Redelings benj@m|n@rede||ng@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Apr 17 01:04:14 CEST 2022

Hi,

I see that R 4.2 adds the underscore _ as a placeholder for the new
forward pipe operator |> , but only for named arguments. The reason why
placeholders for position arguments was NOT added isn't clear to me, so
I've been looking for the discussion around the introduction of the
placeholder.

By searching subject lines in the r-devel mailing list archive, I've found

     https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2021-April/080646.html

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2021-January/080396.html

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2020-December/080173.html and
following messages

but not much else.

1. Am I looking in the wrong place?

2. What is the reasoning behind allowing _ as a placeholder only for
named arguments?

take care,

-BenRI