[Rd] Segfault in setMask in R 4.1

Mike Lee Williams m|ke @end|ng |rom m|ke@p|@ce
Tue Sep 21 18:52:12 CEST 2021

Thank you! Here is the output of option("devices"), which I think means we're using Cairo:

    $device
    function (width = 1280, height = 960, pointsize = 24, units = "px",
        bg = "white", dpi = 160, ...)
    {
        devSym <- basename(tempfile(pattern = "SensePlot", tmpdir = ""))
        newDev <- Cairo(width = width, height = height, pointsize = pointsize,
            bg = bg, units = units, dpi = dpi, type = "raster", ...)
        attr(newDev, "units") <- units
        attr(newDev, "dpi") <- dpi
        assign(devSym, newDev, SenseDevices)
        invisible(newDev)
    }
    <bytecode: 0x55b08ba031c0>
    <environment: namespace:Cairo>

"Sense" is the internal name of our application. I'm not sure what "devSym" and "newDev" are, but If there are no known issues with Cairo itself then our own code is presumably part of the problem.

I would like to confirm that by failing to reproduce the bug in "vanilla" R 4.1 with a Cairo device. If anyone has any tips for how to do that (on Linux) or any other comments I would be very grateful.

If our code is the problem then I'm still confused why a regular plot() works, but a ggplot2 qplot() segfaults. Maybe this is a clue!

I will post again if I figure anything out!

Mike