[Rd] Environment setting _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_='true'

Wed Oct 20 15:31:19 CEST 2021

On 20 October 2021 at 09:31, Sebastian Meyer wrote:
| If you set the environment variable inside a running R process, it will
| only affect that process and child processes, but not an independent R
| process launched from a shell like you seem to be doing here:

Yes. That is somewhat common, if obscure, knowledge by those bitten before.

Maybe a line or two could be / should be added to the docs to that effect?

| How to set environment variables is system-specific. On a Unix-like
| system, you could use the command
|
| _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_=true  R CMD check qra_0.2.4.tar.gz
|
| to set the environment variable for this R process.
| See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable.

R does have hooks for this, I had these for a few years now:

  ~/.R/check.Renviron
  ~/.R/check.Renviron-Rdevel

Again, might be worthwhile documenting it in the Inst+Admin manual (if it
isn' already, I don't recall right now).

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org