[Rd] How is the environment variable "R_USER" defined?

Jiefei Wang @zwj|08 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 22 19:06:47 CET 2021

Thanks for all your help!! It actually has nothing to do with the
environment variables. The issue is caused by the backup feature in
Onedrive as Bill suggested. I do not know what magic trick Onedrive
uses here but it misadvices R to use its directory, not my local
Document directory. The answer might be from Windows FAQ question 2.14
like Duncan posted

After those two user-controllable settings, R tries to find
system-defined home directories. It first tries to use the Windows
"personal" directory

This is confusing. First, this FAQ is not about how "R_USER" is
defined. Instead, it talks about how we find the home directory from
"R_USER". Second, it still did not answer what is "the Windows
personal directory". I think this is where the issue is. My Document
still has the path "C:\Users\wangj\Documents", but there is a backup
path in "C:\Users\wangj\OneDrive\Documents". Unfortunately, R believes
the latter one is the "personal directory". I hope this can be
clarified a little bit to avoid confusion.

Best,
Jiefei