[Rd] gettext(msgid, domain="R") doesn't work for some 'msgid':s

Suharto Anggono Suharto Anggono @uh@rto_@nggono @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Sat Nov 6 09:07:58 CET 2021

This issue has come up before: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2013-February/346721.html ("gettext wierdness"), https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-December/047893.html ("gettext() and messages in 'pkg' domain").

Using 'ngettext' is a workaround, like in https://rdrr.io/cran/svMisc/src/R/svMisc-internal.R .

It is documented: "For 'gettext', leading and trailing whitespace is ignored when looking for the translation."

------------
>> Martin Maechler

 >>> I don't know the solution, but I think the cause is different than you
 >>> think, because I also have the problem with other strings not
 >>> including "\n":
 >>>
 >>> $ LANGUAGE=de Rscript -e 'gettext("malformed version string",
 >>> domain="R")'
 >>> [1] "malformed version string"

 > You need domain="R-base" for the "malformed version "string"

 >> I can reproduce Henrik's report and the problem there is that the
 >> trailing \n is stripped by R before doing the lookup, in do_gettext

 >>             /* strip leading and trailing white spaces and
 >>                add back after translation */
 >>             for(p = tmp;
 >>                 *p && (*p == ' ' || *p == '\t' || *p == '\n');
 >>                 p++, ihead++) ;

 >> But, calling dgettext with the trailing \n does translate correctly for me.

 >> I'd leave to translation experts how this should work (e.g. whether the
 >> .po files should have trailing newlines).

 > Thanks a lot, Tomas.
 > This is "interesting" .. and I think an R bug one way or the
 > other (and I also note that Henrik's guess was also right on !).

 > We have the following:

 > - New translation *.po source files are to be made from the original *.pot files.

 > In our case it's our code that produce R.pot and R-base.pot
 > (and more for the non-base packages, and more e.g. for
 > Recommended packages 'Matrix' and 'cluster' I maintain).

 > And notably the R.pot (from all the "base" C error/warn/.. messages)
 > contains tons of msgid strings of the form ".......\n"
 > i.e., ending in \n.
 >> From that automatically the translator's *.po files should also
 > end in \n.

 > Additionally, the GNU gettext FAQ has
 > (here : https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/FAQ.html#newline )

 > Q: What does this mean: “'msgid' and 'msgstr' entries do not both end with '\n'”

 > A: It means that when the original string ends in a newline, your translation must also end in a newline. And if the original string does not end in a newline, then your translation should likewise not have a newline at the end.

 >> From all that I'd conclude that we (R base code) are the source
 > of the problem.
 > Given the above FAQ, it seems common in other projects also to
 > have such trailing \n and so we should really change the C code
 > you cite above.

 > On the other hand, this is from almost the very beginning of
 > when Brian added translation to R,
 > r32938 | ripley | 2005-01-30 20:24:04 +0100 (Sun, 30 Jan 2005) | 2 lines

 > include \n in whitespace ignored for R-level gettext

 > I think this has been because simultaneously we had started to
 > emphasize to useRs they should *not* end message/format strings
 > in stop() / warning() by a new line, but rather stop() and
 > warning() would *add* the newlines(s) themselves.

 > Still, currently we have a few such cases in R-base.pot,
 > but just these few and maybe they really are "in error", in the
> [...]

After such a change, I indeed do see

$ LANGUAGE=de bin/Rscript --vanilla -e 'gettext("Execution halted\n", domain="R")'
[1] "Ausführung angehalten\n"
$ LANGUAGE=de bin/Rscript --vanilla -e 'message("Execution halted\n", domain="R")'
Ausführung angehalten

$ LANGUAGE=de bin/Rscript --vanilla -e 'warning("Execution halted\n", domain="R")'
Warnmeldung:
Ausführung angehalten

$

(note the extra newline after the German translation!)
whereas before, not only using gettext() directly did not work,
but also using warning() or message() {with or without trailing \n}
were never translated.

... and my simple #ifdef .. #endif change around the head/tail
save and restor seems to pass make check-devel ...

so I will be looking into dropping all those "head" and "tail" add
and remove parts in do_gettext() as they really seem to harm given the current
translation data bases which indeed *are* full of final '\n' in
`msgid` and corresponding translated `msgstr` ....

So, no need for a bugzilla PR nor a patch, please.
Maybe further examples which add something interesting in
addition to the ones we have here.

Thank you again, Henrik, Duncan, and Tomas!

Martin