[Rd] .onLoad, packageStartupMessage, and R CMD check

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Nov 4 21:02:38 CET 2021

Hi Michael,

Indeed, just to elaborate further on what I believe Duncan's point is, can
you give any examples, "dire" or not, that are appropriate when the package
is loaded but not attached (ie none of its symbols are visible to the user
without using :::)?

The only things I can think of are a package that changes the behavior of
other, attached package code, such as conflicted. Doing so is very much an
anti-pattern imo generally, with something like conflicted being an
(arguable) exception. And that's assuming conflicted even works/does
anything when loaded but not attached (I have not confirmed whether thats
the case or not). That or a package that is at end-of-life and is or soon
will be unsupported entirely.

The examples don't need to be yours, per se, if you know what those pushing
back against your linter were using messages from .onLoad for...

Best,
~G