[Rd] S3 dispatch does not work for generics defined inside an environment

Wed Jun 30 13:29:35 CEST 2021

On 30/06/2021 7:23 a.m., Taras Zakharko wrote:
> I had another glance at the code and now I’m convinced that this is the bug in registerS3method(). Default R behavior (in objects.c) appears to be to look for method definitions in the top environment, not the defining environment, but registerS3method() registers the method in the defining environment. I think registerS3method() should be changed to something like:

It registers wherever you ask it to.  The default is the defining
environment.

.S3method is the one that always uses the defining environment, since it
has no way to override the default.

Duncan Murdoch