[Rd] S3 dispatch does not work for generics defined inside an environment

Taras Zakharko t@r@@@z@kh@rko @end|ng |rom uzh@ch
Thu Jul 1 12:15:12 CEST 2021

Thanks Johannes,

I was aware of the modules package (it was not suitable for my needs unfortunately), but I did not know about box… somehow I managed to completely miss it in my search (embarrassing, really).

My own package offers similar functionality to box, but is designed to closely follow the behavior of regular R packages and heavily relies on Roxygen2 to manage imports and exports. The idea is that you can convert a module to an R package (or via versa) with no additional effort.  Basically, where box offers an opinionated implementation of modules, my design aims to be as “boring” as possible. You just write the code as you usually would do for a package and then you use a single new function to load it in a modular fashion.

At any rate, I am exited that there is work in this area and I am looking forward to further exploring the design space. Maybe one day these efforts will culminate in an official R module system.

Thanks,

Taras