[Rd] replicate evaluates its second argument in wrong environment

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 16 00:17:28 CET 2021

On Monday, February 15, 2021, David Winsemius <dwinsemius using comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 2/15/21 1:10 PM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>
>> This is a nice example of the motivation for tidy evaluation — since
>> enquo() captures the environment in which the promise should be
>> evaluated, there's no need for an additional explicit argument.
>>
>> library(rlang)
>>
>> replicate2 <- function (n, expr, simplify = "array") {
>>    exnr <- enquo(expr)
>>

> It does not appear that the line above would accomplish anything given the
> succeeding line. Or am I missing something? Taking it out doesn't seem to
> affect results. Whatever magic there is seems to be in the `eval_tidy`
> function, whose mechanism or rules seem opaque. Was "exnr" supposed to be
> passed to `eval_tidy`?

Oops, yes, obviously that was supposed to be expr. It doesn’t matter in
Gabor’s example because it evaluates to a constant but obviously would
matter in other cases.

Hadley

http://hadley.nz