[Rd] string concatenation operator (revisited)

Wed Dec 8 12:24:04 CET 2021

On 07/12/2021 9:10 p.m., Avi Gross via R-devel wrote:
> Taras and Duncan and others do make a point about things not needing to be built in to the base R distribution if something similar can already be found elsewhere.
>
> To an extent, that is quite true. But what exactly should be in the core of a language that has this kind of extensibility?
>
> I note how annoying it can be to load a package that then loads all kinds of other packages it depends on and often ones you personally will not know anything about and mostly never use directly. If core R was minimal, this can get worse and there can be serious overhead.

In that case you shouldn't use that package, you should find or write
another one that doesn't have all those dependencies.

> Obviously some code belongs there that directly interacts with the operating system or that implements major parts of the language. But clearly there was more put into S/R than the minimum even from early days based on how the language was expected to be used. And it has grown further over the years. The recent addition of a modified form of a pipe operator, along with a new way to declare a function so it can be added into a pipeline, are examples. Ideally, any feature that becomes used heavily that is already in a package, let alone a package with many such useful features, can be a candidate for inclusion directly or by emulation.

The difference between core R and contributed R is mainly who is
responsible for supporting it.  When you ask for something to move to
core R, you are asking R Core members to take on added work.  When they
add something, they are volunteering to take on that responsibility.
That's a big difference.

Duncan Murdoch