[Rd] meaning of browser(skipCalls=) [and multiple mouse buttons]

Frederick Eaton |reder|k @end|ng |rom o|b@net
Wed Dec 8 09:24:47 CET 2021

Dear R Core Team,

I'm attaching a proposed patch to hopefully address my confusions regarding the documentation of browser(). I'm not sure if all the material I added is correct, but I made experiments to confirm that the behavior is at least roughly as described.

     patch ./src/library/base/man/browser.Rd < browser.patch

Also, here is a patch to support multiple mouse buttons in getGraphicsEvent(). This must be edited before it can be applied, I decided to keep the old code in an 'if(0)' to help make it clearer that my code is essentially doing the same thing.

     https://github.com/navarum/tweaks/blob/master/r/patches/0001-Add-support-for-multiple-mouse-buttons.patch
     wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/navarum/tweaks/master/r/patches/0001-Add-support-for-multiple-mouse-buttons.patch | patch -p1

It would be useful to have support in R for more than three mouse buttons because this enables the use of the mouse wheel (buttons 4 and 5), which can provide a more convenient interface when adjusting numbers and graphics and so on. I also have shift+wheel bound to buttons 6 and 7 via xbindkeys and xte, which I use for horizontal scrolling, via a trick from the web somewhere:

     $ cat .xbindkeysrc.scm | grep xte
     (xbindkey '(shift "b:4") "xte 'mouseclick 6'")
     (xbindkey '(shift "b:5") "xte 'mouseclick 7'")

I hope that these contributions can be found acceptable.

Thank you in advance,

Frederick