[Rd] [External] Re: Update on rtools4 and ucrt support

Tue Aug 24 01:00:11 CEST 2021

As I type this, we are eight messages into this thread -- but I am not sure
it has been made clear what the actual contentious issues are.

There appear to be two toolchains, and they appear to be interoperate (though
Duncan stated he had issues with an (arguably demanding) package).  Now, I
have the opposite (hence positive) experience.  For one package I look after,
a colleague took care of the (complicated in that case) 'needed to build the
package' pre-requirements by ensuring we have a UCRT variant.  Jeroen then
(unprompted) supplied a two-line/two-file PR to enable a Windows UCRT build
(piggy-backing on the existing Windows build), and with that the 'ERROR' I
had at CRAN reports under Tomas UCRT entry is gone. Net-net, this looks like
a working setup to me which combines both toolchains without issues.

And I was able to repeat this with a few more packages of mine for which
Jeroen's winlibs factory has libraries---these now build to under Tomas's
builder at CRAN.  So maybe this is not an either-or discussion?  So if there
are issues, could we be told what they are, and could we possibly help Jeroen
and Tomas to iron them out?

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org