[Rd] attach "warning" is a message

Tue Aug 10 11:50:01 CEST 2021

    > Barry,

    > it is not a warning nor plain output, it is a message, so you can use

    >> d = data.frame(x=1:10)
    >> x=1
    >> suppressMessages(attach(d))
    >>

    > Looking at the history, this used to be cat() but got changed to a message in R 3.2.0 (r65385, CCIng Martin in case he remembers the rationale for warning vs message). I don't know for sure why it is not a warning, but I can see that it is more in the line with informative messages (like package masking) as opposed to a warning - in fact the change suggest that the intention was to synchonize both. That said, I guess the two options are to clarify the documentation (also in library()) or change to a warning - not sure what the consequences of the latter would be.

    > Cheers,
    > Simon

Thank you, Simon.
One rationale back then was that  message() *is* in some sense
closer to cat()  than warning() is (and indeed, to synchronize
with the conflict messages from `library(.)` or `require(.)`.
Also, I would say that a message is more appropriate here than a
warning when someone explicitly attach()es something to the
search() path (s)he may get a notice about masking but to be
warned is too strong {warnings being made into errors in some setups}.

So I'd propose to only update the documentation i.e.
help(attach).

Martin

    >> On 10/08/2021, at 2:06 AM, Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson using lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >> If I mask something via `attach`:
    >>
    >>> d = data.frame(x=1:10)
    >>> x=1