[Rd] R Console Bug?

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Sat Apr 17 10:29:17 CEST 2021

Ah, so you're not using R console, you're using the R.app Mac-GUI. That one is not a terminal, so it has entirely different rules, because it is combining all four streams (stdout, stderr and WriteConsole for both output and message). Also for historical reasons macOS (the original) used to use \r as newline (unix has \n and Windows has \r\n) - for that reason your combination of \n\r doesn't work since it is ambiguous in the Mac context and treated as CR. If you want a proper newline, you can change your example to something like

   REprintf("\n   Processing data chunk %d of 3\n ",k+1);

Which makes sure the \n is interpreted as \r\n first and only then you follow with \r. I suppose we could sunset the special handling of \r since it is likely quite rare to see Mac line endings these days... you could file an issue against Mac-GUI.

Cheers,
Simon