[Rd] R 4.0.1-4.0.5 built with Intel Composer 19.0-19.1.1, error in "make check" on CentOS 7.7-7.9

Fri Apr 16 20:32:00 CEST 2021

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 18:06:51 +0000
Ryan Novosielski <novosirj using rutgers.edu> wrote:

> Well it definitely somehow could have, since it did

Wow! This is strange, but at least it should be easy to fix. Try editing
the config.site file in the root of the R source directory and setting
R_C_STACK_DIRECTION=down there. (Make sure to uncomment the line!)
Re-run .../configure, make sure that src/include/config.h contains
#define C_STACK_DIRECTION 1 and build R again.

Does the crash go away? If it does, are you interested in finding out
what went wrong in the configure test for stack direction?

There are lines in m4/R.m4 that I'm not sure I understand:

    if test ${?} = 1; then
      r_cv_cstack_direction=down
    elif test ${?} = 1; then
      r_cv_cstack_direction=up
    fi

How can elif branch have the same condition as the if branch? Shouldn't
the second test had been for $? = 255? On the other hand, if the elif
branch was never taken, how did R_CStackDir become -1?

--
Best regards,
Ivan