[Rd] R 4.0.3 is released
pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Oct 10 10:11:50 CEST 2020
The build system rolled up R-4.0.3.tar.gz (codename "Bunny-Wunnies Freak Out") this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the checksums (md5 and SHA-256) for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = b9c44f9f78cab3184ad9898bebc854b4
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = 5be656453b81e9393e2a0c42688b04b8
MD5 (INSTALL) = 7893f754308ca31f1ccf62055090ad7b
MD5 (NEWS) = 71728ef32a09c5b9df36b496b52d5c8e
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = 496062c138e2def06cebccddfb814ac6
MD5 (NEWS.3) = 012e7f4a80cc8ec947bf3f0ff6117ec8
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = 8ecf46afa36c9aff9904aad5ca422c6d
MD5 (README) = f468f281c919665e276a1b691decbbe6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = 529223fd3ffef95731d0a87353108435
MD5 (THANKS) = 251d20510bfc3cc93b82c5a99f7efcc6
MD5 (VERSION-INFO.dcf) = bfbcfb2f4ef4416b635087160f965904
MD5 (R-4/R-4.0.3.tar.gz) = 8ecf46afa36c9aff9904aad5ca422c6d
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 4.0.3:
* On platforms using configure option --with-internal-tzcode,
additional values "internal" and (on macOS only) "macOS" are
accepted for the environment variable TZDIR. (See ?TZDIR.)
On macOS, "macOS" is used by default if the system timezone
database is a newer version than that in the R installation.
* When install.packages(type = "source") fails to find a package in
a repository it mentions package versions which are excluded by
their R version requirement and links to hints on why a package
might not be found.
* The default value for options("timeout") can be set from
enviromnent variable R_DEFAULT_INTERNET_TIMEOUT, still defaulting
to 60 (seconds) if that is not set or invalid.
This may be needed when child R processes are doing downloads,
for example during the installation of source packages which
download jars or other forms of data.
LINK-TIME OPTIMIZATION on a UNIX-ALIKE:
* There is now support for parallelized Link-Time Optimization
(LTO) with GCC and for 'thin' LTO with clang _via_ setting the
* There is support for setting a different LTO flag for the Fortran
compiler, including to empty when mixing clang and gfortran (as
on macOS). See file config.site.
* There is a new LTO_LD macro to set linker options for LTO
compilation, for example to select an alternative linker or to
parallelize thin LTO.
DEPRECATED AND DEFUNCT:
* The LINPACK argument to chol.default(), chol2inv(),
solve.default() and svd() has been defunct since R 3.1.0. Using
it now gives a warning which will become an error in R 4.1.0.
* The code mitigating stack overflow with PCRE regexps on very long
strings is enabled for PCRE2 < 10.30 also when JIT is enabled,
since stack overflows have been seen in that case.
* Fix to correctly show the group labels in dotchart() (which where
lost in the ylab improvement for R 4.0.0).
* addmargins(*, ..) now also works when fn() is a local function,
thanks to bug report and patch PR#17124 from Alex Bertram.
* rank(x) and hence sort(x) now work when x is an object (as per
is.object(x)) of type "raw" _and_ provides a valid `[` method,
e.g., for gmp::as.bigz(.) numbers.
* chisq.test(*, simulate.p.value=TRUE) and r2dtable() now work
correctly for large table entries (in the millions). Reported by
Sebastian Meyer and investigated by more helpers in PR#16184.
* Low-level socket read/write operations have been fixed to
correctly signal communication errors. Previously, such errors
could lead to a segfault due to invalid memory access. Reported
and debugged by Dmitriy Selivanov in PR#17850.
* quantile(x, pr) works more consistently for pr values slightly
outside [0,1], thanks to Suharto Anggono's PR#17891.
Further, quantile(x, prN, names=FALSE) now works even when prN
contains NAs, thanks to Anggono's PR#17892. Ditto for ordered
factors or Date objects when type = 1 or 3, thanks to PR#17899.
* Libcurl-based internet access, including curlGetHeaders(), was
not respecting the "timeout" option. If this causes
unanticipated timeouts, consider increasing the default by
* as.Date(<char>) now also works with an initial "", thanks to
Michael Chirico's PR#17909.
* isS3stdGeneric(f) now detects an S3 generic also when it it is
trace()d, thanks to Gabe Becker's PR#17917.
* R_allocLD() has been fixed to return memory aligned for long
double type PR#16534.
* fisher.test() no longer segfaults when called again after its
internal stack has been exceeded PR#17904.
* Accessing a long vector represented by a compact integer sequence
no longer segfaults (reported and debugged by Hugh Parsonage).
* duplicated() now works also for strings with multiple encodings
inside a single vector PR#17809.
* phyper(11, 15, 0, 12, log.p=TRUE) no longer gives NaN; reported
as PR#17271 by Alexey Stukalov.
* Fix incorrect calculation in logLik.nls() PR#16100, patch from
* A very old bug could cause a segfault in model.matrix() when
terms involved logical variables. Part of PR#17879.
* model.frame.default() allowed data = 1, leading to involuntary
variable capture (rest of PR#17879).
* tar() no longer skips non-directory files, thanks to a patch by
Sebastian Meyer, fixing the remaining part of PR#16716.
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd.mes using cbs.dk Priv: PDalgd using gmail.com
R-devel using r-project.org mailing list
More information about the R-devel