[Rd] Internet access and R CMD make check-devel

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 5 19:18:30 CEST 2020

One way would be to comment out these tests, or really turn off the
internet, and then these tests don't run.

Indeed, a successful DNS query does not mean that you can connect to
the internet in general. FWIW pingr::is_online [1] implements a method
that works well. Apple's Captive Portal test page is the best method
to determine if you are online, in my experience.

[1] https://github.com/cran/pingr/blob/4594ce0cd40b6ba69f1bcc2379e0038c38dd710f/R/ping-package.r#L135

Gabor