[Rd] [External] Re: .Internal(quit(...)): system call failed: Cannot allocate memory

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Fri Nov 27 21:18:35 CET 2020

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Jan Gorecki wrote:

> [...]
>>> it is like this by design, don't know.
>>
>> Thanks for the report on quit(). We're exploring how to make the
>> cleanup on exit more robust to low memory situations like these.
>>

>>> Aside from this problem that is easy to report due to the warning
>>> message, I think that gc() is choking at the same time. I tried to
>>> make reproducible example for that, multiple times but couldn't, let
>>> me try one more time.
>>> It happens to manifest when there is 4e8+ unique characters/factors in
>>> an R session. I am able to reproduce it using data.table and dplyr
>>> (0.8.4 because 1.0.0+ fails even sooner), but using base R is not easy
>>> because of the size. I described briefly problem in:
>>> https://github.com/h2oai/db-benchmark/issues/110
>>
>> Because of the design of R's character vectors, with each element
>> allocated separately, R is never going to be great at handling huge
>> numbers of distinct strings. But it can do an adequate job given
>> enough memory to work with.
>>
>> When I run your GitHub issue example on a machine with around 500 Gb
>> of RAM it seems to run OK; /usr/bin/time reports
>>
>> 2706.89user 161.89system 37:10.65elapsed 128%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 92180796maxresident)k
>> 0inputs+103450552outputs (0major+38716351minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>>
>> So the memory footprint is quite large. Using gc.time() it looks like
>> about 1/3 of the time is in GC. Not ideal, and maybe could be improved
>> on a bit, but probably not by much. The GC is basically doing an
>> adequate job, given enough RAM.
>
> Agree, 1/3 is a lot but still acceptable. So this strictly is not
> something that requires intervention.
> PS. I wasn't aware of gc.time(), it may be worth linking it from
> SeeAlso in gc() manual.
>

>> If you run this example on a system without enough RAM, or with other
>> programs competing for RAM, you are likely to end up fighting with
>> your OS/hardware's virtual memory system. When I try to run it on a
>> 16Gb system it churns for an hour or so before getting killed, and
>> /usr/bin/time reports a huge number of page faults:
>>
>> 312523816inputs+0outputs (24761285major+25762068minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>>
>> You are probably experiencing something similar.
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I am experiencing.
> The machine is a bare metal machine of 128GB mem, csv size 50GB,
> data.frame size 74GB.
> In my case it churns for ~3h before it gets killed with SIGINT from
> the parent R process which uses 3h as a timeout for this script.
> This is something I would like to be addressed because gc time is far
> bigger than actual computation time. This is not really acceptable, I
> would prefer to raise an exception instead.
>

>> There may be opportunities for more tuning of the GC to better handle
>> running this close to memory limits, but I doubt the payoff would be
>> worth the effort.
>
> If you don't have plans/time to work on that anytime soon, then I can
> fill bugzilla for this problem so it won't get lost in the mailing

I'm not convinced anything useful can be done that would work well for
your application without working badly for others.

If you want to drive this close to your memory limits you are probably
going to have to take responsibility for some tuning at your end. One
option in ?Memory you might try is the R_MAX_VSIZE environment
variable. On my 16Gb machine with R_MAX_VSIZE=16Gb your example fails
very quickly with

Error: vector memory exhausted (limit reached?)

rather than churning for an hour trying to make things work. Setting
memory and/or virtual memory limits in your shell is another option.

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney