[Rd] vignettes present in 2 folders or won't work

Sun Nov 1 22:38:53 CET 2020

On 01/11/2020 2:57 p.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> The closest to a canonical reference for a static vignette is the basic blog
> post by Mark at
>
>   https://www.markvanderloo.eu/yaRb/2019/01/11/add-a-static-pdf-vignette-to-an-r-package/
>
> which I follow in a number of packages.
>
> Back to the original point by Alexandre: No, I do _not_ think we can do
> without a double copy of the _pre-made_ pdf ("input") and the _resulting_ pdf
> ("output").
>
> That bugs me a little too but I take it as a given as static / pre-made
> vignettes are non-standard (given lack of any mention in WRE, and the pretty
> obvious violation of the "spirit of the law" of vignette which is after all
> made to run code, not to avoid it). Yet uses for static vignettes are pretty
> valid and here we are with another clear as mud situation.

In many cases such files aren't vignettes.

By definition, packages should contain plain text source code for
vignettes.  They can contain other PDF files in inst/doc, but if you
don't include the plain text source, those aren't vignettes.

An exception would be a package that contains the source code but
doesn't want to require CRAN or other users to run it, because it's too
time-consuming, or needs obscure resources.  The CRAN policy discusses this.

Duncan Murdoch