[Rd] round() and signif() do not check argument names when a single argument is given

Shane Mueller @h@nem @end|ng |rom mtu@edu
Sat May 23 06:37:57 CEST 2020

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:55 PM David Winsemius <dwinsemius using comcast.net>
wrote:

> The premise in the first few lines of your preamble is at odds (in the
> logical sense) with my understanding of primitive function behavior. Try:
>
> data.frame(x=1:2,y=letters[1:2])[j=2, i=1]
>
> David

I had never seen naming indexes of the [] operator.  The documentation of
[] indicates that it does argument matching in a non-standard way,
recommends against doing it, and states the [.data.frame behavior used in
this example is 'undocumented'.  In the example above a warning is thrown
as well.

Here is the [] documentation:

Argument matching
> Note that these operations do not match their index arguments in the
> standard way: argument names are ignored and positional matching only is
> used. So m[j = 2, i = 1] is equivalent to m[2, 1] and not to m[1, 2].
>
> This may not be true for methods defined for them; for example it is not
> true for the data.frame methods described in [.data.frame which warn if i
> or j is named and have undocumented behaviour in that case.
>
> To avoid confusion, do not name index arguments (but drop and exact must
> be named).

For the data frames operator [], i and j appear to be named and used
arguments, as the following causes an unused argument error for k:
data.frame(x=1:2,y=letters[1:2])[j=2, k=1]

The analog for round() would be indexing with something like  [k=1,] alone,
which causes an unused argument error error for data frames, which is what
I'm suggesting round(banana=3.5) should do.   (note it works for matrix as
documented).

Best,
Shane