[Rd] GCC warning

Adrian Dușa du@@@@dr|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 22 09:25:48 CEST 2020

I am trying to submit a package on CRAN, and everything passes ok on all platforms but Debian, where CRAN responds with an automatic "significant" warning:

* checking whether package ‘QCA’ can be installed ... [35s/35s] WARNING
Found the following significant warnings:
  /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/string_fortified.h:106:10: warning: ‘__builtin_strncpy’ output may be truncated copying 12 bytes from a string of length 79 [-Wstringop-truncation]
See ‘/srv/hornik/tmp/CRAN/QCA.Rcheck/00install.out’ for details.

I know the cause of this: using a cursomized version of some external C library, coupled with <SystemRequirements: GNU make> in the Description.

But I do not know hot to get past this warning, since it refers to a builtin GCC function strncpy. As far as I read, this should be solved by a simple GCC upgrade to the newest version, but that is something outside my code base, since GCC resides on the CRAN servers.

In the meantime, to get the package published, did anyone encountered a similar problem? If so, is there a workaround?

—
Adrian Dusa
University of Bucharest
Romanian Social Data Archive