[Rd] Use of MathJax (or something similar) in .Rd files

Tue May 5 15:37:30 CEST 2020

The package is really nice, I recommend it.  Package writers should
install it, but users of their help pages don't need it unless they're
working offline.  Even then, because of the way MathJax works, they get
something that's fairly readable, e.g.

"The probability density function of a normal distribution is given by
\[f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma}
e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}\right)^2},\] where \(\mu\)
denotes the mean of the distribution and \(\sigma\) its standard deviation."

For a user who is online, or who has the mathjaxr package installed,
this would be displayed with the equation as a display equation, and mu
and sigma displayed properly inline.  To obtain that output I used this
input in an Rd file:

"The probability density function of a normal distribution is given by
\mjdeqn{f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma}
e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}\right)^2},}{f(x) = 1/(sqrt(2
pi) sigma) e^-((x - mu)^2/(2 sigma^2)),} where \mjeqn{\mu}{mu} denotes
the mean of the distribution and \mjeqn{\sigma}{sigma} its standard
deviation."

A frill that might be possible to add would be a test for a remote
connection, and a fallback to the ascii display if it's not there.  It
already has a display-time test for the presence of the MathJax files
locally.

Maybe once all the kinks are worked out this could be incorporated into
the R distribution.  However, it's not really needed there, since it
works so well as a contributed package already.

Duncan Murdoch