[Rd] Error in message printed by lbfgsb

Taiane S. Prass t@|@nepr@@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 4 16:25:09 CEST 2020

Hi

I have a FORTRAN version of the L-BFGS-B algorithm and I was comparing it
to the code in the lbfgsb.c file available at R-4.0.0.tar.gz

Everithing looks the same, except for those two lines that must be printed
by the prn3lb function in case of an error (lines 3559 and 3561 in
lbfgsb.c):

case -5: Rprintf("l(%d) > u(%d).  No feasible solution", k, k); break;

case -7: Rprintf("Warning:  more than 10 function and gradient
evaluations\n   in the last line search\n"); break;

I believe that these two lines are interchanged, as lines 835 to 837 say

if (iback >= 10) info = -5;
/*     i.e., to issue a warning if iback>10 in the line search. */
goto L999;

while lines 1784 and 1785 say

strcpy(task, "ERROR: NO FEASIBLE SOLUTION");
*info = -7;

Best regards,

*Profa. Dra. Taiane Schaedler PrassDepartamento de Estatística - Instituto
de Matemática e Estatística*

*Programa de Pós-Graduação em Estatística (PPGEst)*
*Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul*
Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500, Porto Alegre - RS - BRASIL - CEP: 91509-900
*https://www.ufrgs.br/ime/ <https://www.ufrgs.br/ime/>*
www.professor.ufrgs.br/tsprass

*"In order to seek truth, it is necessary once in the course of our life,
to doubt, as far as possible, of all things*
*"  René Descartes (1596-1650)*