[Rd] Request: tools::md5sum should accept connections and finally in-memory objects

Dénes Tóth toth@dene@ @end|ng |rom kogentum@hu
Sat May 2 00:07:43 CEST 2020

On 5/1/20 11:35 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> The tools package is not for users, it's for functions that R uses in
> installing packages, checking them, etc.

I think the target group for this functionality is the group of R
developers, not regular R users.

> If you want a function for
> users, it would belong in utils.  But what's wrong with the digest
> package?  What's the argument that R Core should take this on?

There is nothing wrong with the digest package except for being an extra
dependency which could be avoided if an already implemented C function
were available at the R level.

I do understand that given the load on R Core, they do include new
features and the related burden of maintenance only if it is absolutely
necessary. This is why I asked first whether there is a particular
reason not to expose an already existing (base-R) implementation. I
think it is reasonable to assume that 'md5_buffer' exists for a reason -
but probably there is a reason why it never became part of any exported
function. Now I checked the history of the md5.c file; it was last
edited 8 years ago. Somewhat surprisingly, md5_buffer was already
included in the original file (created 17 years ago), but marked as
UNUSED 12 years ago.

Just to clarify: I do not want suggest that R Core team should take over
all functionalities of the digest package. I do really focus on
computing MD5 digests, which is already possible for files. My
suggestion for a more general function was meant for keeping potential
further enhancements in mind.