[Rd] [FORGED] Re: Plotmath on Fedora 31 broken with with pango >= 1.44 - workarounds?

Nicolas Mailhot n|co|@@@m@||hot @end|ng |rom |@po@te@net
Tue Mar 31 09:04:00 CEST 2020

Le mardi 31 mars 2020 à 15:07 +1300, Paul Murrell a écrit :

> Thanks, that's useful.  For my own memory, this is the parenthesis
> block
> that might be useful ...
>
> U+239b Sm LEFT PARENTHESIS UPPER HOOK ⎛
> U+239c Sm LEFT PARENTHESIS EXTENSION ⎜
> U+239d Sm LEFT PARENTHESIS LOWER HOOK ⎝
> U+239e Sm RIGHT PARENTHESIS UPPER HOOK ⎞
> U+239f Sm RIGHT PARENTHESIS EXTENSION ⎟
> U+23a0 Sm RIGHT PARENTHESIS LOWER HOOK ⎠
> U+23a1 Sm LEFT SQUARE BRACKET UPPER CORNER ⎡
> U+23a2 Sm LEFT SQUARE BRACKET EXTENSION ⎢
> U+23a3 Sm LEFT SQUARE BRACKET LOWER CORNER ⎣
> U+23a4 Sm RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET UPPER CORNER ⎤
> U+23a5 Sm RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET EXTENSION ⎥
> U+23a6 Sm RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET LOWER CORNER ⎦
> U+23a7 Sm LEFT CURLY BRACKET UPPER HOOK ⎧
>
> However, the situation is still not completely straightforward.  The
> style of the symbols is also an issue and the DejaVu symbols are not
> as elegant as, say, the OpenSymbol symbols.  What makes things tricky
> is that, AFAICS, DejaVu has (TTX Unicode cmap output) ...

Ah, the endless design discussions… Myself I prefer a consistent design
like Dejavu, over cobbling symbols of different designs, because they
used to be in separate fonts. Anyway:

> <map code="0x239b" name="uni239B"/><!-- LEFT PARENTHESIS UPPER HOOK
> -->
>
> ... while OpenSymbol has ...
>
> <map code="0xf8eb" name="parenlefttp"/><!-- ???? -->
>
> ... but neither has the other.

OpenSymbol is incorrect (it suffers from the same pre-unicode bias as
R). However, it is, to my knowledge, actively maintained. You can ask
its upstream (LibreOffice) for Unicode conformance fixes if you find
problems. Especially when it’s just fixing the map of an existing
glyph, that should not be hard for them to fix. Anything PUA-related
won’t interoperate well in an unicode world.

(you can ask DejaVu too, maybe a request from a project like R will
wake up its maintainers. But, that’s a long shot. DejaVu suffers from
an almost done state without enough remaining work to interest
designers).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot