[Rd] status of Java & rJava?

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Sun Mar 29 05:07:13 CEST 2020

Spencer,

you could argue that Java is dead since Oracle effectively killed it by removing all public downloads, but if you manage to get hold of a Java installation then it works just fine with R. To my best knowledge there has never been an issue if you installed rJava from source. macOS Catalina has made binary distributions impossible due to additional restrictions on run-time, but even that has been how solved with the release of rJava 0.9-12, so please make sure you use the latest rJava. In most cases that I have seen issues were caused by incorrect configuration (setting JAVA_HOME incorrectly [do NOT set it unless you know what you're doing!], not installing Java for the same architecture as R etc.). If you have any issues feel free to report them. rJava 0.9-12 has quite a few changes that try to detect user errors better and report them so I strongly suggest users to upgrade.

Cheers,
Simon