[Rd] Invisible names problem

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Wed Jul 22 22:59:08 CEST 2020

    @7fa24fc69850 02 LISTSXP g0c0 [REF(1)]
      TAG: @7fa24b803e90 01 SYMSXP g0c0 [MARK,REF(5797),LCK,gp=0x4000] "names" (has value)
      @10a250000 16 STRSXP g0c7 [REF(65535)] (len=20000, tl=0)
	@7fa24ba575c8 09 CHARSXP g0c1 [MARK,REF(10005),gp=0x61] [ASCII] [cached] "a"
	@7fa24be24428 09 CHARSXP g0c1 [MARK,REF(10010),gp=0x61] [ASCII] [cached] "b"
	@7fa24b806ec0 09 CHARSXP g0c1 [MARK,REF(10077),gp=0x61] [ASCII] [cached] "c"
	@7fa24bcc6af0 09 CHARSXP g0c1 [MARK,REF(10003),gp=0x61] [ASCII] [cached] "d"
	@7fa24ba575c8 09 CHARSXP g0c1 [MARK,REF(10005),gp=0x61] [ASCII] [cached] "a"

If you don't assign the intermediate result things are simple as R knows there are no references so the names can be simply removed. However, if you assign the result that is not possible as there is still the reference in x2 at the time when unname() creates its own local temporary variable obj to do what probably most of us would use which is names(obj) <- NULL (i.e. names(x2) <- NULL avoids that problem.since you don't need both x2 and obj).

To be precise, when you use unname() on an assigned object, R has to technically keep two copies - one for the existing x2 and a second in unname() for obj so it can call names(obj)<-NULL for the modification. To avoid that R instead creates a wrapper for the original x2 which says "like x2 but names are NULL". The rationale is that for large vector it is better to keep records of metadata changes rather than duplicating the object. This way the vector is stored only once. However, as you blow way the original x2, all that is left is k[I] with the extra information "don't use the names". Unfortunately, R cannot know that you will eventually only keep the version without the names - at which point it could strip the names since they are not referenced anymore.

I'm not sure what is the best solution here. In theory, if the wrapper found out that the object it is wrapping has no more references it could remove the names, but I'm sure that would only solve some cases (what if you duplicated the wrapper and thus there were multiple wrappers referencing it?) and not sure if it has a way to find out. The other way to deal with that would be at serialization time if it could be detected such that it can remove the wrapper. Since the intersection of serialization experts and ALTREP experts is exactly one, I'll leave it to that set to comment further ;).

Cheers,
Simon