[Rd] Speed-up/Cache loadNamespace()

Mario Annau m@r|o@@nn@u @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jul 19 17:50:21 CEST 2020

Dear all,

in our current setting we have our packages stored on a (rather slow)
network drive and need to invoke short R scripts (using RScript) in a
timely manner. Most of the script's runtime is spent with package loading
using library() (or loadNamespace to be precise).

Is there a way to cache the package namespaces as listed in
loadedNamespaces() and load them into memory before the script is executed?

My first simplistic attempt was to serialize the environment output
from loadNamespace() to a file and load it before the script is started.
However, loading the object automatically also loads all the referenced
namespaces (from the slow network share) which is undesirable for this use
case.

Cheers,
Mario