[Rd] specials issue, a heads up

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therne@u @end|ng |rom m@yo@edu
Mon Feb 24 21:46:38 CET 2020

Thanks to all who commented.   In some defense of the person who reported the "bug", it
appeared to be a company policy from above, influenced by the fact that they had been
often burned by not using :: when multiple packages use the same symbol.

Some further technical detail:  coxph has 3 specials: strata, cluster, and tt.  For the
last of these I took a different route, and did not make it an exported symbol in the
survival package. (I try to be smarter over time).  Instead, coxph first looks at the
formula.  If that formula contains tt() then it creates an envionment that contains the
function  "tt <- funciton(x) x", whose parent is the environment of the formula, changes
the formula's environment to this, and then proceeds as usual.    As a curiousity, I'm
going to change cluster to the same form, and them run my script that executes R CMD
check on every package that has surivval as depend/import/suggest and see how many
break.   I'm guessing I'll find several that used cluster for their own ends. The strata
function will be worse.

Duncan -- to use your approach, I'd instead hack the formula before calling model.frame,
so that it does not try to call cluster?

Another approach I tried was not exporting cluster(), but that fails when model.frame
tries to call it.

Terry