[Rd] installing from source

Sun Dec 27 21:02:47 CET 2020

   There is a recurring issue with installing from source into paths
that contain single quotes/apostrophes. "Why would anyone do that??" is
certainly a legitimate response to such a problem, but I would also say
this constitutes a legitimate bug.  Would replacing both single-quotes
below with \\' solve the problem?
    I'm happy to post this (with a patch if my fix seems appropriate) on
r-bugzilla.

   cheers
     Ben Bolker

line 1672 of src/library/tools/R/install.R :

   cmd <- paste0("tools:::.test_load_package('", pkg_name, "', ",
quote_path(lib), ")")

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/2eade649c80725352256f16509f9ff6919fd079c/src/library/tools/R/install.R#L1672

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15129888/r-cmd-install-error-unexpected-symbol-in-test-load-package-function

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65462881/cannot-download-packages-from-github-from-unexpected-symbol