[Rd] quantile() names

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Tue Dec 15 00:00:48 CET 2020

Question: is the part that Ed Merkle is asking about the change in the
expected NAME associated with the output?

He changed a sort of global parameter affecting how many digits he wants any
compliant function to display. So when he asked for a named vector, the
chosen name was based on his request and limited when possible to two
digits.

x <- 1:1000
temp <- quantile(x, .975)

If you examine temp, you will see it is a vector containing (as it happens)
a single numeric item (as it happens a double) with the value of 975. But
the name associated is a character string with a "%" appended as shown
below:

str(temp)
	Named num 975
	- attr(*, "names")= chr "98%"

If you do not want a name attached to the vector, add an option:

quantile(x, .975, names=FALSE)

If you want the name to be longer or different, you can do that after.

names(temp)
	[1] "98%"

So change it yourself:

temp
	98%
	975
 names(temp) <- paste(round(temp, 3), "%", sep="")
temp
	975.025%
	975

The above is for illustration with tabs inserted to show what is in the
output. You probably do not need a name for your purposes and if you ask for
multiple quantiles you might need to adjust the above.

Of course if you wanted another non-default "type" of calculation, what Abby
offered may also apply.