[Rd] New pipe operator

Mon Dec 7 18:53:41 CET 2020

On 07/12/2020 12:09 p.m., Peter Dalgaard wrote:

>> On 7 Dec 2020, at 17:35 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/12/2020 11:18 a.m., peter dalgaard wrote:
>>> Hmm,
>>> I feel a bit bad coming late to this, but I think I am beginning to side with those who want  "... |> head" to work. And yes, that has to happen at the expense of |> head().
>>
>> Just curious, how would you express head(df, 10)?  Currently it is
>>
>> df |> head(10)
>>
>> Would I have to write it as
>>
>> df |> function(d) head(d, 10)
>
> It could be
>
> df |> ~ head(_, 10)
>
> which in a sense is "yes" to your question.

I think that's doing too much weird stuff.  I wouldn't want to have to
teach it to beginners, whereas I think I could teach "df |> head(10)".
That's doing one weird thing, but I'd count about three things I'd
consider weird in yours.

>>> As I think it was Gabor points out, the current structure goes down a nonstandard evaluation route, which may be difficult to explain and departs from usual operator evaluation paradigms by being an odd mix of syntax and semantics. R lets you do these sorts of thing, witness ggplot and tidyverse, but the transparency of the language tends to suffer.
>>
>> I wouldn't call it non-standard evaluation.  There is no function corresponding to |>, so there's no evaluation at all.  It is more like the way "x -> y" is parsed as "y <- x", or "if (x) y" is transformed to `if`(x, y).
>
> That's a point, but maybe also my point. Currently, the parser is inserting the LHS as the 1st argument of the RHS, right? Things might be simpler if it was more like a simple binop.

An advantage of the current implementation is that it's simple and easy
to understand.  Once you make it a user-modifiable binary operator,
things will go kind of nuts.

For example, I doubt if there are many users of magrittr's pipe who
really understand its subtleties, e.g. the example in Luke's paper where
1 %>% c(., 2) gives c(1,2), but 1 %>% c(c(.), 2) gives c(1, 1, 2). (And
I could add 1 %>% c(c(.), 2, .) and  1 %>% c(c(.), 2, . + 2)  to
continue the fun.)

Duncan Murdoch